top of page

Welcome to Moving South Immigration

A personalized immigration service to private individuals as well as corporate companies.

  • Writer's pictureSue-Allan Mehl

Research visas - what you need to know

A foreign individual who needs to conduct academic research in South Africa for more than three (3) months and maximum three (3) years must apply for a research visa.

A research visa must be applied for at a South African mission abroad and some of the quintessential documents required are as follows -

  1. A valid machine-readable passport valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with two (2) blank pages

  2. Completed medical and radiological reports

  3. Police clearances from all countries where applicant resided for twelve (12) months or longer since the age of eighteen (18)

  4. Yellow fever certificate if applicant travelled to or through a yellow fever country

  5. Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae and proof of qualifications / testimonials

  6. A letter from the organization or institution in South Africa, confirming enrolment and a current certified copy of the host's Identity document

  7. A letter from the foreign academic institution, confirming same enrolment

  8. Proof of sufficient funds by means of recently stamped bank statements for the last 3 (three) months - indicating a closing balance the equivalent of ZAR 3000 per month

  9. Copy of travel reservation

  10. Proof of accommodation in South Africa

The research visa, if approved, is issued as a long-term visitor's visa and the conditions will be stipulated as research activities.

Should you require any information about the research visa, please reach out to our team via our Contact Form on Alternatively, we may be contacted on +2773 5357 534 or


bottom of page